There are many good caving sites out on the internet, here are just a few of them:
- Map of Mendip Caves with some access details (courtesy BDCC).
- Charterhouse Caving Company Ltd with details of the Charterhouse area caves.
- Mendip Cave Registry and Archive with much information about Mendip caves and caving.
- www.mendipweather.org.uk a weather station on the top of the Wessex Cave Club Hut.
- Mendip Cave Rescue read this before you need their help!
- Council of Higher Education Caving Clubs We are their Ultimate Caving Club for 2013! (2nd in 2014.)
- British Cave Research Association (BCRA) Info on grants, research, insurance and more.
- British Caving Association (BCA) Site packed full with information about British clubs, regional associations, cave conservation, caving techniques etc.
- Council of Southern Caving Clubs (CSCC) is our local regional association.
- Cambrian Caving Council (CCC) is the Welsh regional/national association.
- Council of Northern Caving Clubs (CNCC) has information about access to Yorkshire caves.
- The Cambrian Cave Registry can be searched for details of Welsh caves.
- Cavemaps.org has many Yorkshire cave surveys.
- UK caving pages in association with Descent magazine is a great site for information on weather, accomodation, access, general UK caving issues.
Welsh Caving Clubs With Huts:
Not so local....
Survey and Technique:
- Survex Cave survey software
- Therion Cave survey software, editing and viewing.
- UK survey data archive courtesy of the BCA.
- Compass Software Survey data editing and viewing
- Vertical Techniques Comprehensive site for rope techniques.
- Petzl's site also has some advice on technique and gear safety.
Starless RiverTony Seddon's mobile caving shop.
Tel.: +44 (0)1748 811438 or 07896 463971
Tony gives Society members a discount on the cost of most purchases. A code which allows this to be claimed when shopping online is available from the Secretaries or the Treasurer. For obvious reasons, please do not share this with non-members.
Bristol & Area
Camping and climbing gear, some caving gear. Cheapish. The place to go for a sleeping bag.
Army Surplus StoresGloucester Road
Boiler suits and cheap boots.
Marcruss Stores181 Hotwells road
Boiler suits and cheap wellingtons.
Cotswolds OutdoorStudent discounts available.