Annual Dinner Awards
The UBSS awards are given out every year at the Annual Dinner in March to acknowledge those who are outstanding in many and varied ways. Stupidity, especially underground, is a highly prized trait.
2012 - 2013
- Person who most resembles a LOTR character - Simon Hadfield - For having a striking likeness to Gollum.
- Stalker of the year - Anya Keatley - For having an unreasonable number of photographs of Cameron eating.
- Golden compass - Stuart Alldred - For failing to find the way out of Cwm Dwr
- Foreign ambassador award - Adam Henry.
- Dr Doolittle award - Simon Hadfield- For having a sheep girlfriend.
- Pretty awesome for an old(er) guy - Clive Owen - For leading and joining us on trips in South Wales and Mendip.
- Buff Fresher of the Year - Jacob Podesta
- Best job after graduation - Dickon Morris - For sheep farming in Australia .
2011 - 2012
- Golden Compass Award - Adrian Wilkins - for the OFD1 trip that was very late (very late indeed).
- Spaceman Award - Stu Alldred - for a total misunderstanding of the term space cake.
- Contract Caver - James MacFarlane - for only going on a caving trip if he signed a contract.
- Swildon's Abuser - Stu Alldred - for an unreasonable number of trips to one cave.
- Devotion to the UBSS Award - Ruth Briggs - for coming so far so often to join us.
- Little Spoon Award - Miss Cat Hulse - for always being on the lookout for her big spoon.
- Stop: Equipment Check Award - Cayley Howard - for proving that what goes up does not have to be able to go back down again.
- Buff Fresher of the Year - Stuart Walker
- Flower Power Award - Dickon Morris - for the best job after graduating (picking daffodils).
2010 - 2011Now that must have been a good dinner, nobody can remember what was awarded!
2009 - 2010
- Rose-tinted Specs Award - Mike Salter -Taking 2 m less ladder than needed for the cave.
- Bag in Hand Award -Dickon Morris - Pooing in a bag and trying to return it.
- Golden Boot Award - Ryan Warwick - For breaking 2 fingers on a social.
- Damsel in Distress Award - James MacFarlane - For frequent cross dressing and falling out of a boat.
- Manliest Man Award - Katy For not realising her ankle was broken for 2 months.
- Keenest Fresher Award - Alice Whale - For her unwavering enthusiasm.
- UBSS Ambassadors Award - Frank Doherty and Debs Mann For caving in Nepal
- Honourary Award to Cat's Mum for providing fantastic accommodation on a UBSS weekend.
2008 - 2009
- Mr Muscle Award - Jack Paton, for being buffer than one might expect
- Robert Mugabe Award for right wing thinking - Dickon Morris, for his questionable comments
- Amundsen Award for polar exploration and probably being the most southerly travelled member of UBSS - Andy Wright, in recognition of his recent trip to Antarctica
- Little Chef Award for culinary excellence - James Macfarlane, for his unfortunate lack of culinary skills
- Booker Prize for most entertaining trip reports - Mike Salter, for exceedingly well written and humorous trip reports
- Silver Compass Award - Rob and Christian, for driving the wrong way up the M6 on the way back from Derbyshire and not realising until they reached Manchester
- Tardis Award for excellent utilisation of work holiday - Richard Rossington, for, according to his out of office email, returning to work 10 days before he left
- Golden Boot for best caving injury - Frank, for his little finger
- Mr Kipling Award - edd, for his exceedingly good baking
2007 - 2008
- Flaming Man Award - Alex Crow (Falling in fire)
- Mr Tickle Award - James McFarlane (Vomitting whilst being tickled in Romania)
- Masterchef Award/Alcoholics Anonymous Award - Edd Willats (Food/Alcohol poisoning in Romania)
- 999 Award - Fay Hewitt (Kitchen fire in Romania)
- Goldfish Award - Jon Stenson (Forgetting Wellies, boots and contacts already in his eyes)
- Bubbly/Hugs Award - Tree (Who else!)
- Over Engineering Award - Christian Chourot (For the Squeeze machine and Rope Cleaner)
2006 - 2007
- Golden credit card - trev (left his card in the hut)
- Lost property - andy and paul
- Blonde - james
- Golden glasses - rob (failure to read cave description)
- Silver compass - Jon (getting rods and drunkards mixed up)
- Hero of the dales - james' dad (putting us up in the snow)
- AA 4 star award (best hotel in wales) - Fay's mum
- Brick to the face award - gina (subtle)
- Champagne award - tree (most bubbly)
- Indecent clothing award - ed
- Golden boot - kayleigh
2005 - 2006
- Silver compass award (for failing to find Jingling Pot) - Christian
- SuperTed award (for going all the way to Yorkshire and not caving) - Edith
- Darwin award (for scaring freshers off) - Andy W
- Santa award (having had his soggy caving gear stolen at Xmas) - Paul
- Heroine of Wales award (for providing bedding in Wales) - Fay's mum
- UBSS ambassador to Africa (as a result of his travels) - Frank
- UBSS song book (because we all know he loves it) - Dick
- A welsh music CD (because he’s now studying in Wales) - Bill