University of Bristol Spelæological Society

Cox's Cave, Cheddar: A history (UBSS Proceedings v.18(1))

Proceedings » Volume 18 » Sub-volume 1

Irwin,D.J., 1987. Cox's Cave, Cheddar: A history. UBSS Proceedings, 18(1) , pp 20-42 Download PDF.

Abstract: Cox's Cave was discovered by a workman employed by George Cox in 1837 and opened to the public in the following year. Since then only small extensions have been discovered, though the opening of the Lady Chapel in 1913 encouraged the making of a second entrance. The cave was lit by gas from about 1870 and electric lighting, partially installed in 1913, fully replaced gas in 1929. The Cox family attempted to sell the cave in 1884 but a High Court decision that it was not in fact theirs to sell prevented this, although they were granted a lease of the cave. The cave returned to the control of Longleat Estates in 1939. Roland Pavey's underground activities nearby presented a potential danger to Cox's Cave between 1890 and 1904. This account has been based on contemporary accounts as far as possible, including official documents, newspapers and travel guides.

Search options

Browse Proceedings or Search Proceedings

Upcoming Events

9th Feb 2018:
Peak District 9-11th Feb

View all events

All material on this site is © The University of Bristol Spelaeological Society. Webmasters should feel free to link to any part of this site; however before any re-use of material from this site in any other published form, electronic or printed, permission must be granted by the Society. We aim to allow reasonable re-use, however, we do not have sole rights ourselves for everything here. For all enquiries please contact the editor
WAI-AA (Accessibility notes) | Copyright © | © UBSS 1919 - 2018